Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 NFL Draft - Rds 2/3

Welcome to the official 2nd and 3rd round blog of The Perfect Pass.

That was a ridiculous first round. 12 trades. I expect just as many today. With the 1st round being separated from rounds 2 and 3, many teams have had a chance to analyze which players on their big board are surprisingly available and there's sure to be much trade activity on top of the 2nd round. Much more on this after the jump.


7:29 pm: Quick was a favorite sleeper of many "experts." I was surprised by Schwartz a little bit, I think Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin are better prospects, still available.

7:32 pm: Jenkins is a first round talent, but character questions pushed him down to the 2nd round. Good gamble by the Rams at this juncture.

7:40 pm: Bills on the clock - I'm expecting either an OT or a WR. Glenn or Martin at OT or Randle or Hill at WR. 

7:43 pm: Glenn is a great pick here by the Bills. 2011 was his first time ever at left tackle at Georgia. He was pretty mediocre 1st half of this past season, but eventually got much much better. He's got great size, arm length, and strength. And he has the necessary feet to play left tackle. He's just green and needs to work on his technique quite a bit before he can start in the NFL. If he doesn't work out at LT, he was a first-round guard as well so he offers great position versatility - this is about where he represents good value.

7:45 pm: Martin is another good pick here - this time by the Dolphins. He's battle-tested, but he lacks ideal strength and punch in the run game - more of a finesse tackle.

 7:46 pm: The Jets are on the clock via trade. Looks like the AFC East basement has hijacked the last 15 minutes.

7:51 pm: Another great value pick here by the Jets in Stephen Hill. He only caught 28 balls, and he basically just ran one route in college but he's got phenomenal athleticism and his combination of size and speed is rare. He should be a good one in a couple of years once he gets that route tree down. 

7:53 pm: My darkhorse pick for the Chiefs here is QB Brock Osweiler

7:55 pm: Looks like the Rams traded down yet again, this time with the Bears. I think Jerel Worthy or Devon Still is the pick.

8:00 pm: I don't like the Bears pick for several reasons. Jeffery is talented, but he's undisciplined on and off the field and now he'll be learning from Brandon Marshall in Chicago - not the best role model. It's a bigger gamble than I would've taken.

8:18 pm: Solid value in Kendall Reyes here by the Chargers. Same goes for RB Isaiah Pead by the Rams.

8:22 pm: By the way, I meant to mention this earlier - I think the Colts were smart in pairing Luck with his favorite target in college - TE Coby Fleener. And they didn't reach for him either. That's a smart pick that will provide a rookie QB with a security blanket.

8:25 pm: Packers trade up and get a steal in Jerel Worthy. He's inconsistent, but I thought would've been picked yesterday.

9:10 pm: Some incredible value picks in the past half an hour or so. Konz, Adams, and David were a late-1st rounders on many mocks. I really like Osweiler as long as he was guaranteed to be holding the clipboard for a couple of years - in Denver he'll be learning from one of the best. And there's not a lot of difference between Vinny Curry and some of the late 1st round pass rushers.

9:14 pm: I can't believe WR Rueben Randle from LSU is still available. He was a late 1st rounder by most accounts and rightfully so - he's a 6'3" 210 lb big play receiver with excellent ball skills. I think what's hurting him is his inability to consistently separate.

9:17 pm: Looks like the Giants agreed with me and took Randle with the last pick in the 2nd round.

9:28 pm: Yet another trade, this time the Bills moved up two spots to 69.

9:30 pm: By the way, as you probably noticed I erased all the picks above - you can probably get them at a dozen other sites like NFL.com and ESPN.com. I erased them because I likely cannot keep updating it for the rest of the draft and so it didn't make sense to just leave it incomplete.

9:32 pm: I guess TJ Graham it is. I don't know much about him except that he's a speedy slot guy.

9:42 pm: A punter in the 3rd round! Well, just when you think you've seen everything. Wasted pick by the Jags. 

3 comments:

  1. I guess Coach Fisher feels he and the staff will be able to control Jenkins. If they can they got a great player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree and I think Fisher is the right type of coach to take this kind of risk because, as you said, the reward is great.

      Delete
    2. I'm not to thrilled with the Titans second round pick I thought they could have selected a better LB

      As for the Falcons pick of the OL from Wisconsin I think that was a solid pick they needed help on the OLnow I hope the Falcons address the DL or LB

      Delete