Wednesday, May 2, 2012

NFL Draft Grades - Part 2 of 3

This is part 2 of the 3-part series grading some of the teams that stood out to me in the NFL draft. In this one, I am highlighting the teams that I think struck out. Much more on this after the jump.

If you're just joining us, make sure to check out part 1 of the series as much of the disclaimer is included within.

THE BAD - I think these teams really missed on their player evaluations in the draft. They either passed up an opportunity to pick higher rater players at a position of need or reached for a player when better options were available.

Falcons: They traded their 1st and 4th rounders in this draft last year in the Julio Jones trade so they had a slightly bare cupboard to begin with. I like their first pick (2nd round) - C/G Peter Konz in Wisconsin who is extremely pro ready but has an injury history. From there on it gets pretty bad. They reached in the 3rd round for OT Lamar Holmes when much better tackle prospects were available. In fact, I didn't like really any of their picks except for Konz and 5th round pick Jonathan Massaquoi from Troy who has very good tools for a pass rusher. Their biggest need was LB and they failed to pick one, which is somewhat surprising given the depth at the position in this draft.

Saints: This is another team that was short on draft picks as they were sans 1st and 2nd round picks; thanks to the bounty scandal and the Mark Ingram trade. Their biggest needs, in my opinion, were CB, WR, and LB as Tracy Porter and Robert Meachem departed via free agency and they had to expect Jonathan Vilma to miss at least half the season. Their only pick I liked, and ironically the only need they filled, was WR Nick Toon from Wisconsin in the 4th. Akiem Hicks in the 3rd was a reach. The picks in rds 5-7 were luxury picks leaving them without an answer at CB or LB.

Raiders: Yet another team without 1st and 2nd round picks....I swear I'm not picking on them. The Raiders left draft weekend with maybe one mid-season starter. That's not a good sign for a team that overhauling its roster and needs starters desperately. I like WR Juron Criner from Arizona who's a big, physical receiver with speed and hands to boot. But other than that every other pick, in my opinion, was a reach with better prospects available.

Seahawks: This team really probably belongs in my "mixed feelings" batch which is in part 3 of the series, but I just couldn't get over the Bruce Irvin pick. He's got a great, even elite, first step. But you know who else did? Aaron Maybin from Penn State who was picked 11th overall by the Bills in 2009. He got cut from the roster in 2011. Apparently there were several teams with a 1st round grade on Irvin and he was, reportedly, the 3rd best defender on the Seahawks' board. I've been wrong before, but color me skeptical. He's like a sprinter in a linebacker's body. Once his path to the QB has been deviated, he neither has the counter moves to regain the advantage over the opposing lineman, nor the strength to alter his approach. He's a one trick pony. If I'm wrong, I'll be eating crow..and I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Bears: I loved their 1st round pick - DE Shea McClellin. He's got all the tools you look for in a pass rusher but he played for Boise St. so no way he could be considered a top 20 pick. That being said, I absolutely hated their 2nd round pick - WR Alshon Jeffery. It's not his talent I question, it's his desire. And didn't the Bears just acquire another receiver just like that this off season? I don't know how Marshall will be a good mentor to Jeffery who is undisciplined on and off the field and has had problems controlling his weight. He's got great natural ability, but he's not a hard worker. If the light goes on he can be a good one, but the odds are stacked against him. The other issue is, their biggest need is improving the offensive line (probably tackle) and they didn't pick one in the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment